ART 001-2 Key Ideas in Art
In first part of Lecture one, Gemma Marmelade explained us the brief and what are the expectation for this unit.
Starting by the brief, this unit builds upon the knowledge gained at level 4 and puts Modernism and after, into a global context.
This unit will introduce us to critical ideas that underpin art and design practise from the 1950s to the end of 20th Century. It will help me to develop my research skills and my analysis skills and I will can engage with relevant critical ideas.
Research Question: Provide a critique of an exhibition of artworks and/or artefacts visited in the past 6 months relevant to your burgeoning practice interests.
My critique should look at:
- the overall framework of the exhibition
- its critical intent
- identify and explain at least three contextual positions
- reference the effectivity of the curatorial role and how it was successful (or unsuccessful) in communicating its aims to an audience
- how the exhibition influenced your thinking in how to display your own work in the context of an exhibition – this influence can be positive/negative – or both.
Second part in this lecture was about stimulus and context and she show us a model of contextual extrapolation from a given STIMULUS:
Contextual extrapolation for a given stimulus, in my case an exhibition, is formed by answers from questions like what? where? when? why? etc, about the exhibitions.
What can I see just by looking at this exhibition?
How was this art work actually made?
When was it made, and what was happening in art and broader history at that time?
Why did the artists create this work and what is its meaning to them, and to us now?
What are the curatorial intentions in this exhibition and what is its meaning now?
Example of mind mapping:
Lecture 1 – Gemma Marmelade
Notes during the lectures:
Notes for lecture’s questions:
Initial thoughts about a choice stimulus:
I think I have to be really careful with my choice about the stimulus, because if is not a proper exhibition with a real content and why not a tradition, I will have problems with developing mind mapping and contextual extrapolation about it.
Lecture 1 Questions:
- What is CONTEXT?
Starting by The Oxford Dictionary, “context” is “the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood”. (www.oxforddictionaries.com, accessed 22 October, 2014)
Context is a conjuncture, situation, circumstance or a situation of things in a certain time.
Basically if you know the context for an event for example, you know where is it, what is about, who organize it, how is made, why is organize/ create, scope, what means are used for.
- What are your initial ideas for choosing an exhibition/show/event in the last 6 months and why?
Considering that I traveled in Beijing, Geneva and London in last 6 months and I visited few museums and artefacts I am thinking to choose one of this:
- Andreea Bruno – Cinema Zenit at Centre D’Art Contemporain, Geneve, Switzerland
- Authentic Boys (Aaike Stuard, Boris van Hoof and Gregory Stauffer) – Happyland, Centre D’Art Contemporain , Geneve, Switzerland
- Patek Philippe Museum, Geneve, Switzerland
- Roca London Gallery, London, UK
- Stolen Space Gallery, London, UK
- Summer Palace, Beijing, China
- Temple of Heaven, Beijing, China
- Forbidden City, Beijing, China
- The Great Wall, China
The answer for this question is not because I already visited it, and is because I feel inspired by a museum like Patek Philippe or Roca London Gallery. Of course all have an interesting and stimulating part and in the same time there are few aspects which helps me in Globalization context.
- How do you think these ideas will lend to talking about globalization through the mind mapping model?
I think that if you can make a mind mapping model for a pen, you probably can create a mind mapping for Patek Philippe Museum, for example, they create watches for the entire world considering the culture and social impact for each country and in the same time they keep the tradition of Swiss watches. I really feel a pure art and economic globalization here.
The Globalization is an inevitably phenomenon and it comes for a connection wish, and maybe for gained from its.